17 December 2008

More thoughts on the hijab or chador

I am much more used to wearing the veil now and it only seems really odd when I catch myself in a mirror! It also has to be said that there are lots of stunning Persian women who manage to wear it and still look highly glamourous. The daring ones backcomb the front section of hair into almost bee-hive proportions and rest the scarf as far back as they feel they can get away with. They focus on dramatic eye make-up with layers of mascara and smoky eyeshadow. Unfortunately I don't have the hair to carry this look off!
 
So it got me thinking about the chador - the full-on garb is like a huge black sheet which falls from the head to the ground and is grasped at the neck or higher to partially cover the face when necessary - (to avoid strange men peering at your cheekbones or something equally silly).
 
So the whole scarf thing almost has an invisible cloak feeling to it - the bigger the surface area, the more invisible you are and if your friend was walking ahead of you up the street and she wasn't the only one wearing the full-size version, there's no way you'd be able to recognise her. I wonder how many times women partially cover their faces to hide their identity or avoid having to make small talk with neighbours or friends that they're not in the mood to talk to? "Nazin, I thought I saw you at the market today" - "Nah - I was having a spray tan and pedicure at Ferdosi Glamour"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for finding a positive reason for wearing the chador. Can anyone think of another? There can't be many.

I love your blogs too, except I get very jealous very quickly!

Good luck, and continue to have fun and share it with us.

Sandra Crosbie said...

I am delighted you have slipped into such a frock with ease. what will we see on your return...